Our primary goal is patient safety, but we also are intently focused on boosting efficiencies and eliminating unnecessary costs at every phase. PAA has developed a sophisticated perioperative surgical home model called Value-driven Perioperative Strategies (VPS). Key elements of our VPS include:
- Early patient engagement, education and support. Offering pre-anesthesia clinics and implementing ideas like video consulting and smart device portals, we provide patients with unparalleled access to our providers for education and support throughout the perioperative period.
- Expansion of the pre-anesthesia clinical role. The Triple Aim challenges us not only to improve outcomes, but also to improve the health of populations. We’ve expanded our preoperative role to include counseling for risk factors like smoking, obesity and sleep apnea, as well as providing preoperative anemia management and osteoporosis screening.
- Reduced delays and improvement of OR throughput. PAA is committed to implementing best practices to eliminate anesthesia-related delays and optimize patient throughput in ORs and PACU.
- Reduction of preoperative testing. The anesthesiologist’s role in reducing unnecessary perioperative costs starts with eliminating unnecessary preoperative lab work, tests and specialty consultations. We work to disrupt old patterns by educating stakeholders and owning these processes
- Improvement of outcomes through evidence-based pathways. As part of our LongLives Anesthesia Pathways, we have authored initiatives that drive better outcomes, addressing post-operative nausea and vomiting, multimodal analgesia, lung preservation strategies and management of patients with cardiac disease, among others.
- Improved patient experience in the PACU. PAA is a leader in keeping patients safe and comfortable in the PACU, taking measures to optimize hydration and reduce postoperative pain, nausea and vomiting, hypothermia, confusion and poor blood sugar control in diabetics.
We are partnering with healthcare systems to integrate our VPS approach within larger population health models, taking the lead in meeting the goals of better care at a lower cost and an improved patient experience.